Saturday, June 16, 2012

top three: Shakespeare


(This repost was posted before over here.)

Othello‘s not my favorite Shakespeare play by far because gosh darn it, why can’t everyone just be straightforward with each other for once?! And why oh WHY doesn’t Othello believe Emilia when she’s defending Desdemona?! It would’ve saved him (and the rest of the cast) a whole lot of trouble. And poor, innocent Cassio. He just wanted his JOB BACK.

Anyway, since I’m studying for my Othello exam for tomorrow and am in the mood for thinking about Shakespeare, here are my favorite Shakespeare plays (comedies and tragedies) in no particular order:

1. Hamlet. Unlike Othello or Romeo & Juliet, the circumstances are not caused by blindness and secrets but rather Hamlet’s fear of taking action and you know, SCAR his evil uncle. The psychology behind the play is fascinating. Plus, my favorite character makes it through the sort-of-bloodbath in the end. Woo-hoo!

2. A Much Ado About Nothing. If I had to pick a favorite Shakespeare comedy, I’d pick this in a heartbeat. The relationship between Beatrice and Benedick is the classic love/hate relationship and the play is everything a comedy should be.

3. A Taming of the Shrew. Er, no of course I didn’t put on the last because 10 Things I Hate About You is one of my favorite teen film classics. Can I just say that it’s just a really fun read?

Of course, I still have yet to read the rest in the myriad of Shakespeare’s work such as As You Like It, Julius Caesar, and Twelfth Night. But I shall get to them someday. (Insert dramatic pause here.)

Oh, and MOST IMPORTANT FILM NEWS ALERT: Lionsgate has shortlisted Alfonso Cuaron for the job of directing Catching Fire!!!!!!!!!! (One exclamation mark is clearly not enough to contain my excitement at this piece of news.) Even though I fell on my knees and exclaimed “NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!” when I read that Gary Ross decided to leave the series*, after reading about their beyond awesome shortlist, my sadness at his departure has completely (well…almost) disappeared. I hope the shortlist isn’t just a studio wishlist and that negotiations are going to happen soon because my nerd + film-loving life is going to be made if Alfonso Cuaron decides to roll up his sleeves and take the job. (But seeing as I probably jinxed the whole ordeal with this paragraph and because he won’t be able to commit because he’s working on Gravity, it’s probably not going to happen.) *Fingers and toes crossed*

*Well I would’ve done exactly that if I wasn’t in a room surrounded by people. *Ahem*

No comments:

Post a Comment